Skip to content
Gregory C. Harrell, Clerk of Court and Comptroller of Marion County, Florida
Marion County Clerk of Court and Comptroller
How Do I

County Criminal


The County Court has jurisdiction over all defendants accused of committing crimes which have been designated as misdemeanors. A misdemeanor is a criminal offense which is punishable by imprisonment in a county correctional facility.

Misdemeanors are divided into degrees and have maximum penalties and fines as described below. Florida Statutes, Chapter 775, contains all criminal penalty laws.

  • A First Degree Misdemeanor is punishable by a term of imprisonment not to exceed 1 year in the county jail and by a fine not to exceed $1,000.
  • A Second Degree Misdemeanor is punishable by a term of imprisonment not to exceed 60 days in the county jail and by a fine not to exceed $500.

Other charges handled in misdemeanor division:

  • County and Municipal Ordinances which are defined as local regulations passed by a county or municipality which are punishable by a fine less than $500 and/or imprisonment in a county jail for less than 60 days.

Criminal Traffic

Criminal Traffic Laws which are defined by the Florida Rules of Court as a violation that may subject a defendant upon conviction to incarceration.


Our office cannot provide customers with the outcome or disposition of a case over the phone. To obtain this information you can visit the Clerk of Court and Comptroller, County Criminal Division. You may also obtain this information on the Clerk’s website. However, there will be a delay of time in which the disposition will be entered into the Clerk’s Case Management System. Rules of Judicial Administration – PUBLIC ACCESS TO JUDICIAL BRANCH RECORDS, Rule 2.420 (f)(1) – Requests for access to records shall be in writing and shall be directed to the custodian. The request shall provide sufficient specificity to enable the custodian to identify the requested records.

You can mail in a request for a copy of the disposition plus $1.00 for the copy. You can send your request and payment to the County Criminal Division. It will take approximately seven working days to process your request.

Identity Theft

The Clerk of Court does not have the authority to change names on original court records. The Office of the State Attorney should be contacted, at (352) 671-5800, if you suspect someone is using your name.

Sealing or Expunging a Record

Please refer to Sealing and Expunging on our website.