Traffic Infractions

Civil Traffic Infractions
A Civil traffic infraction is a non-criminal violation, not punishable by jail and which usually can be disposed of by payment of a civil penalty or election to attend a basic driver improvement course. A court appearance is not required, except in cases where the violation involves an accident with serious bodily injury or a fatality, violations of leaving a child in a vehicle unattended, going more than 30 miles per hour over the speed limit or littering. Payment can be made by mail or in person at the Clerk's Office in the county which the infraction occurred.

The Clerk's Office also accepts credit/debit cards, Visa, Master Card, American Express and Discover. However when using one of these cards, there is a non-refundable charge of 3.5% as of July 1, 2009 to provide this service. The Clerk's Office does not receive any part of this fee. 

Some citations can be paid online through There is a non-refundable charge of 3.5% as of July 1, 2009 to provide this service. The Clerk's Office does not receive any part of this fee.

All Civil Traffic Infractions must be paid within 30 days from the date the ticket was issued. After 30 days, if the citation has not been paid, a delinquent fee will be added, your driver license will be suspended and you will not be eligible to elect to attend the defensive driving course. Additionally, after 90 days the unpaid fees will be turned over to a collection agency and additional fees will be assessed.

For certain infractions (as set forth in section 318.14(9) of the Florida Statutes), you may, in lieu of a court appearance, elect to attend a basic driver improvement course, in which case adjudication will be withheld and points will not be assessed against your driving record. This election must be made within 30 days of the citation being issued. This election includes paying the civil penalty associated with the citation, signing an affidavit and entering a plea of nolo contendere. 

However, you may not make such an election if you have already done so in the preceding 12 months. You also may not make more than 5 such elections during your lifetime. 

If you exercise the option of receiving a withheld adjudication pursuant to section 318.14(9) & 6.360 of the Florida Rules of Traffic Court, you will have 60 days from the date you sign the affidavit, to fulfill the statutory requirement of providing proof of compliance (driver improvement course completion certificate) to the Clerk of Court and Comptroller. 

Proof of compliance/completion certificate must be filed with our office by one of the following:

Mailing Address: Marion County Clerk of Court and Comptroller; Traffic Division: Post Office Box 907, Ocala, FL 34478-0907;

Physical Address: 110 NW 1st Avenue, Room 101, Ocala, FL 34475

You must contact an approved traffic school of your choice in the State of Florida by referring to the telephone directory or by visiting 

1. Out of County citations: You must contact the Clerk of Court in the County in which the citation was issued.
2. You may NOT elect to attend the driver improvement course if you hold a commercial motor vehicle license (CDL).
3. Failure to file your school completion form will result in additional statutory fees and the suspension of your driver's license. Additionally you will be adjudicated guilty of the offense, points will be assessed against your driver license and the outstanding balance will be sent to a Collection Agency with additional fees being assessed.

Local Parking Tickets
Local parking tickets must be paid within 30 days from the date the ticket was issued. Local parking violations are ones which are not issued on a Uniform Traffic Citation. Local parking tickets may affect your driver license and the renewal of your vehicle registration if left unpaid. Additionally, unpaid parking violations will be turned over to a collection agency.

Disposing Of A Citation Received In Another County

Tickets must be satisfied in the county in which they were issued. To find a list of websites for Florida Clerk of Courts, refer to our Links page.

License Reinstatement
You may pay the amount due plus the required delinquent fee if your license is suspended for failure to pay a civil infraction in Marion County. The Clerk's Office can assist you in reinstating your license. If there are other reasons for the suspension, you will need to go to a driver license office for reinstatement. A reinstatement fee is required.