When should I apply for a passport?
You should apply for a passport several months in advance of your planned departure.  If you will need visas from foreign embassies, allow more time.

Do I need to apply in person for a U.S. Passport?
You must apply in person for a U. S. Passport if any of the following apply:

  • You are applying for the first time
  • Your previous passport was lost or stolen
  • Your previous passport has expired and was issued more than 15 years ago

Every applicant must appear in person, including minors.  Minors age 15 and under must appear with both parents.  Minors aged 16 to 17 must appear with one parent. 

Can I renew my passport by mail?
You are eligible to renew by mail, using the DS-82 form, if the following statements are true:

  • You have your passport in your possession to submit with your application and it is undamaged.
  • Your passport was issued within the last 15 years when you were age 16 or older.
  • Your passport is in your current name or you can provide documentation of a name change.

Renewal applications are not accepted by the Clerk’s office.

What if I need a passport in a hurry?
Passports can be expedited to get your passport back sooner, please refer to the current processing times on www.travel.state.gov.  If you need a passport sooner than the current processing times available, you must make an appointment with the Miami Passport Agency. Please see the Expedited Processing page on the Clerk’s website for current fee information.

What is the difference between a passport book versus a passport card?
Both serve as proof of your U.S. citizenship and identity.  The U.S. passport book is used for travel by air, sea, and land.  The passport book is the only document approved for international air travel.  The U.S. passport card is a wallet-size travel document used for entering the U.S. at land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and The Caribbean.  The passport card cannot be used for international air travel.  Please visit www.travel.state.gov for fee information.

Where can I apply for a passport?
Completed applications (DS-11 forms) are accepted at the Marion County Clerk of Court Annex Building at 19 N. Pine Avenue, room 126, by appointment. Please call 352-671-5588 for further information or visit the Clerk’s website to schedule an appointment.

Appointments are necessary to avoid long wait times and to better serve you. Walk-in services will be available until 3:30pm, only AFTER scheduled appointments are completed.

What else should I know about passports?
Before traveling abroad, make a copy of the identification page so it is easier to get a passport in case yours becomes lost or stolen.  It is also good to carry one extra passport-sized photo with you.

Some countries require that your passport be valid for at least 6 months beyond the dates of your trip.  Check with the nearest embassy or consulate of the countries that you plan to visit to find out their entry requirements.

For more information on applying for a passport visit www.travel.state.gov or contact the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778.