What is needed to issue a marriage license?
Single adults (18 years of age or older) may obtain a marriage license by completing the marriage license application through the online kiosk.  Once submitted, please schedule an appointment on the Clerk’s website to complete the process and issue the marriage license.  Both parties must be present at the appointment and provide identification.  If previously married, the full ending date (mm/dd/yyyy) of that marriage is required.  For fee information, please refer to the Fees and Charges section listed in the Quick Links on the homepage. 

How long does it take before a marriage license is effective?
Florida Residents:
Both applicants may take a premarital preparation course given by a provider registered with the Clerk of Court and Comptroller to receive a $25.00 discount on the marriage license fee and waive the three day waiting period.  The provider must give the applicants a certificate of completion for the course, which must be presented to the marriage license clerk when applying for the license.  For fee information, please refer to the Fees and Charges section listed in the Quick Links on the homepage. 

Applicants not wishing to take the marriage preparation course will not qualify for the discounted fee and a three-day waiting period will apply before the license becomes effective after the issue date.  For fee information, please refer to the Fees and Charges section listed in the Quick Links on the homepage.

Out-of-State Residents:
The three day waiting period does not apply to out-of-state residents.  The marriage license is effective on the issue date.

How long is a marriage license valid?
Florida marriage licenses are valid for 60 days from the effective date.  The marriage license must be returned to the Marriage License department within 10 days of the date of marriage. 

Are there age restrictions for obtaining a marriage license?
To obtain a marriage license without parental consent, both parties must be 18 years of age or older.  If either applicant is under the age of 18, but at least 17 years of age, the license cannot be issued unless the parents or guardian of the minor completes a sworn, written consent form and provides a certified copy of the minor’s birth certificate; the older party to the marriage is not more than 2 years older than the younger party to the marriage, based on the dates of birth of both applicants.  Parental consent is not required, however, if both parents of the minor are deceased or the minor has been previously married.  Consent forms are available in the Marriage License department.

What are the office hours and location of the Marriage License department?
The Marriage License appointments are available Monday through Friday, from 8:00am to 4:00pm.  Appointments are required for all services.  The office is located in the Clerk’s Annex building at 19 N Pine Avenue, Ocala, room 126. For more information, please call 352-671-5588.

How do I obtain a certified copy of a recorded marriage license?
Certified copies of a recorded marriage license can be provided by visiting the Marriage License department or can be ordered by contacting the Record Center at 352-671-8545, if you wish to receive it by mail.  Certified copies are $3.00 each.