Application Process

(1) Adults applying for a first passport
Applications are available in our office or online at:

Each applicant must personally appear in our office to file an application. A spouse, relative or friend may not file your paperwork.

Passports for adults are issued for a ten-year period.

(2) Adults renewing a passport issued not more than 15 years ago
Your passport was issued for ten years. You are allowed to renew it within a five-year period after it expires. If your passport was issued within the past 15 years, and you were at least 16 years when you received it, you will need to apply with a renewal application, available from this office. You will need one new photo, your old passport, and a check for payment. (For current amounts, please see the Fee Schedule and Service Charges document or visit You must mail this form yourself to the Passport Agency. We generally suggest sending this certified mail. The renewal will be issued for a ten year period.

(3) Children
As of February 2004 all minors must appear in person.
Children's passports are issued for a five-year period of time. They may not be renewed. A new passport must be issued. In addition to the regular materials required for adults, evidence of the child's relationship to parents or guardian(s) and parental identification will also be required.

If only one parent appears, you must also submit one of the following:

(1) Second parent's notarized written statement consenting to passport issuance for the child or (Form DS-3053) (Consent form is only valid for 3 months.)
(2) Primary evidence of sole authority to apply or
(3) A written statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances (made under penalty of perjury) explaining the second parent's unavailability. (Form DS-5525)
(4) Second parent must also submit a copy of photo identification, both front and back.

Age Signature(s) Required Number of Parent Signatures Form
0-15 only parents 2 DS-11
16-17 child, parent(s) 1 DS-11
Adult self   DS-11
Adult Renewal self   DS-82